I use a hot oil treatment once a week before I shampoo wash my hair. It helps prevent dry scalp, the shampoo stripping all the moisture from my hair and minimizes damage caused by daily styling.
I have been using this hot oil treatment since the beginning of my natural hair journey and it has helped the health of my hair tremendously. Please do keep in mind you can add or subtract oils of choice to use in this mixture.
I use 1 tablespoon of each of the following oils:
Coconut oil - keeps hair strong,
nourished and protected from the effects
such as baldness and excessive hair loss.
Olive oil - full of rich moisturising properties.
Castor oil - helps thicken hair and
promote hair growth
(you can add essential oils however that is optional)
- Mix all the oils in a small bowl.
- Place the small bowl (with oils) in a larger bowl filled with hot water to help warm up and melt the solid coconut oil without the mixture in the microwave.
- Once the oil mixture is warm massage into scalp and then the whole length of the hair shaft.
- Cover with plastic bag/cap.
- Leave the oil treatment on your hair from 30mins -2hrs (for me it depends on how long my chores take :D).
- Wash oil treatment out with shampoo, condition then style as desired.
You can do this treatment on any hair texture and length.Please do let me know how it goes, I love hearing your feedback. If there’s any other oils you love please do share. I love trying new recipes!